This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How far back to correct tax returns

Notaclue2018
How far back to correct tax returns

Postby Notaclue2018 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 pm

Hello

I have realised I have omitted some info from my self assessment tax return but i am certain i dont owe any tax as a result. The missing info is:

- bank account interet of less than £150 in two tax years (15/16 and 14/15)
- dividends of less than £80 per year going back to the 11/12 tax year (turns out they had the wrong email address for me so i wasnt receiving statements - i only just found out)
- dividends from foreign companies of less than £450 per year going back to the 10/11 tax year. The dividends are reinvested automatically and ive never had the money paid to me directly so it really never occurred to me that I should have been declaring it on my tax return.

Those are my only dividend payments and I have always been a basic rate tax payer, so i dont believe i owe any tax.

Should i write to hmrc to declare the missing info all the way back to 2010/11 or is that overkill? They wouldnt really give me a straight answer when i called them.

Thanks

SteLacca

Re: How far back to correct tax returns

Postby SteLacca » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 pm

You could potentially amend 13/14 onwards, but in the circumstances I'd just drop them a line.

Notaclue2018

Re: How far back to correct tax returns

Postby Notaclue2018 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks, I finally got hold of someone at HMRC who gave me sensible advice on how to proceed.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”