This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Not fit for purpose

pawncob
Not fit for purpose

Postby pawncob » Fri May 24, 2019 12:10 pm

It's Friday, so it's time for a bitch about HMRC.

I submitted my tax return on 25th April, together with a return for 'er indoors. Tax calculated and agreed.

Today I received reminders from HMRC in respect of both returns asking me to submit the returns as soon as possible. The letters were "dated" 6th April.

How many millions of these letters do they send out to people who have already submitted their returns? Is anyone in charge of their computers? Even I could write a simple program that informs MAIL DEPT that a return has been received so don't bother sending a reminder.

If (as the letter informs me), 92% of taxpayers submit their returns on line, why are HMRC using snail mail to issue reminders?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Jholm

Re: Not fit for purpose

Postby Jholm » Fri May 24, 2019 1:55 pm

I may be wrong but I believe HMRC print huge batches before sending, so I assume the letter was prepared for sending prior to you completing.

I say this since I withdrew someone from SA around 25th March and was told that they would probably still get a filing notice as the 'ball was already rolling' with the post.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:47 pm

Is a reminder (which would be odd given the date of issue), or is it your s8 notice to file?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm

It's an SA316 "Notice to complete a tax return", but the same criteria apply.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed May 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Latest hmrc not fit for purpose (applies for agents only)

for vat - as soon as you signup clients for mtd for you lose two useful sections within the old vat agent area
first section is the online vat registration certificate section is removed - also the ability to de-register clients for vat vanishes.
add that to the craziness of not having a client list within the new agent services account and it feels like this mtd is one backward step after another

I should be happy that the first client swapped over to mtd vat all worked within 24 hours including linking up with the chosen software - Xero

I still think they should delay mandation for 12 months as it does all still feel a bit of a mess

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:37 pm

It's an SA316 "Notice to complete a tax return", but the same criteria apply.
A Notice to requiring you to make a return is not the same as a reminder for not doing so. Giving Notice is a statutory requirement.

Judges Thomas and Poppelwell would argue that your return is not valid becasue it was not given in response to a notice.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”