This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Personal Finance cash basis expense

R-Graphite
Personal Finance cash basis expense

Postby R-Graphite » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Hello,
I am self-employed (sole trader non vat registered). Assume I bought a PC for my work through personal finance . The company offer finance option for payment via one of their partner lenders. Now my question is: if I use the Cash Basis accounting can I claim that as an expense and should I claim the whole amount or only the payments I made during the financial year. For example if the PC costs £3000 and I will be paying the amount to lender who I made an agreement with within 3 year obviously with interest. Do I claim the 3000£ in the financial year or only 1000£ which is the amount I actually paid in the financial year.
Note: this arrangement is not hire purchase, it is payment through personal finance provided by the supplier via a partner lender.

Regards

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”