This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What address to post Self assessment to from abroad when using courier?

paulspad
What address to post Self assessment to from abroad when using courier?

Postby paulspad » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:58 am

Hi all, Can someone please tell me or does anyone have any idea about which address to post paper Self Assessment SA100 from abroad when using a courier?
I'm hoping someone has first hand experience or at least understands the workings of the system better than I do, as I have no clue what address to post to.

So, by post it seems impossible to establish how to send my SA100 by express delivery so that it makes the deadline. I shall be using a courier of course (DHL) to minimize the risk of it being lost or delivered past the 31 October paper-form deadline.

The confusing situation is brought about after reading advice from HMRC's own advice because, of course, it tells you to send to this non-geographic address

Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS
United Kingdom

But, there is also a page which gives this address : (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/couriers)

HM Revenue and Customs
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ
United Kingdom

The problem, it seems, of the Newcastle address with the fixed postcode is that they will not properly receive it, or return it, as shown with this example .... Furthermore it appears to be a general address, not specifically for Self Assessment.

Please see this example (which I found online) to understand the fuller picture of the problem ----> https://www.proactive.uk.net/?p=2349

Will it simply NOT be acknowledged at all, not received by anyone, or even returned back?
I'm in total despair at how difficult a straight-forward thing appears to be!

Please help, someone - save me from this total despair!.. It would mean a lot!!

robbob

Re: What address to post Self assessment to from abroad when using courier?

Postby robbob » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:58 pm

Practicably speaking i would be confident it doesn't matter.

as you aren't a courier i would say use address one as that is the official address for "non couriers" - the courier bit i think is only advise for actual couriers in that presumably they have orders to deliver everything to the main scanning section - in which case its likely that the courier might divert your delivery there.

either way it will be with hmrc at approximately the same time if if you need evidence of delivery get some tracking option added.

Note the post scanning system seems to normally work pretty well nowadays (thankfully it was very bitty when they started scanning) so either way hmrc should be in possession and have your correspondence hopefully logged within a couple of weeks (or quicker)

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:56 pm

Is there a reason you cannot file online? Surely that would resolve your concerns?

etf

Postby etf » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 pm

HMRC's tax software does not support the residence pages and so I suspect that is why a paper return has been prepared.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”