This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole trader - I made a mess

Alek90
Sole trader - I made a mess

Postby Alek90 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi,
In 2019 I started a career as a freelance photographer and I realised five photographic services for a total amount of £1,130.00.
Since I was starting, my photographic expenses in terms of camera and lens (£676.97) and female designer outfits I used for my shootings (£4966.91) were very high, for a total amount of £5643.70.
I registered my self as a sole trader on January and I received the government gateway user ID, but the problem is that I haven’t fill the tax return for 2019 since I thought that I should have paid taxes on my second year, but reading online I just realised I was wrong.

Also, in the same period, I got £3,570.40 from sales on Ebay (personal items or objects I previously bought that I didn’t need anymore). For this sort of business did I have to pay taxes?

What should I go? Do you suggest me to hire a professional? How could I fix the situation?
Many thanks,
x

pawncob

Re: Sole trader - I made a mess

Postby pawncob » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:58 am

Items sold on ebay are not business items, so ignore.
Clothing is not a deductible item for tax purposes unless protective.
Tax position depends on when you started in 2019. It may be that you don't have to submit a return yet.
Get an accountant.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”