This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC tax forum-is it a good idea?

etf
Re: HMRC tax forum-is it a good idea?

Postby etf » Fri May 15, 2020 9:40 am

Having monitored HMRC's tax forum for a few days, I do think it is a good idea. In explanation, where problems arise it gives individuals a platform to vent their frustration. Others in the same situation see they are not alone and add balast to the alleged problem and before long HMRC has an avalanche on their hands: see a small selection of posts from one thread below as an example (response awaited from HMRC):

The above is a totally unhelpful response. It basically says that HMRC washes its hands of any responsibility. HMRC is a Government Agency but it's mechanisms (whether its own or those offered by a third party) are not flexible enough to recognise a UK citizen who has been issued with two separate official Government Agency issued documents. Which is unacceptable.

Please advise exactly who I should write to (over and above 'relevant sections of the gov.uk/verify website' as, so far, there doesn't appear to be any that I can find).

Copies going to my MP, MoneyBox Radio 4 and anybody else I can think of.

Trying to help my father claim a grant for being self employed, am getting stuck in the gateway process which requires -passport-Photo drivers license-P60.

Since he is self employed he has no P60, he has never had a passport and his drivers license is the older paper one, it takes three weeks to upgrade and have only two working days left to claim(13-18th May)

The verifyUK was utterly useless as they also are fixated with passport/photo license....Which is is absurd since if you have those what is the point in it?

HI. I have not to find a forum for my problem. I have problem to apply for the Self Employment Income Covers now, because the Gateway account, not let me identify. I Tried to do other ID but the problem is the same. I have no UK ID, Passport, Driving licence. I'm Hungarian, living here 10 Years, and Self employed from 2016. I have a self-employed tax account, where I can verify myself with Post Office account, but the gateway do some credit data. And that is always shown is cannot recognise me... That is meaning, I'm unable to claim my rights :( And no helpline for this :-( even I cannot go for new Gateway ID, because of this issue.
Please, help me :(

We called the correct number for help, they then gave us another number which we called which saw us transferred through half a dozen government branches until they told him they would contact him via phone within 2 working days...This was THREE working days ago at time of this post.

He is definitely NOT the only one left in this situation as I have spoken to half dozen others in the same boat, they are all admittedly entitled to the grant, yet are all stuck because they only have a paper license as identity with zero possibility to get one within the set time limit.

Please advise what can/must be done!

I only found this section after hours of prior online research.

We’re also having problems with this identity check. My wife has successfully had a government gateway ID for years and has submitted tax returns online since 2014. But some features such as NI record or SEISS require this additional credit check. She does not have a UK passport and her surname is too long to fit on banking systems so her name never matches. Even her UK driving licences has a shortened version of her name, so even that won’t match.

HI. I have not to find a forum for my problem. I have problem to apply for the Self Employment Income Covers now, because the Gateway account, not let me identify. I Tried to do other ID but the problem is the same. I have no UK ID, Passport, Driving licence. I'm Hungarian, living here 10 Years, and Self employed from 2016. I have a self-employed tax account, where I can verify myself with Post Office account, but the gateway do some credit data. And that is always shown is cannot recognise me... That is meaning, I'm unable to claim my rights :( And no helpline for this :-( even I cannot go for new Gateway ID, because of this issue.
Please, help me :(

abidemi

Re: HMRC tax forum-is it a good idea?

Postby abidemi » Sat May 16, 2020 10:20 am

I agree that the forum is useful if only to be assured that we are not the only ones having problems registering for online self assessment. If HMRC want us all to submit returns online , they are going to have to find a better way to register. Otherwise, we will have to continue submitting paper returns. It seems to especially affect those who do not have a UK passport and/or little or no credit history.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”