This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

etf
Re: HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

Postby etf » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:16 pm

See below from HMRC today and my note from yesterday. If you have to wait 34 minutes when HMRC's target is 10 minutes how long will waiting times be when that target is disgarded? Jim suggests he doesn't have adequate resources....just look how much he has ploughed inton and wasted on MTD4IT. The frightening thing is nobody seems to be suggesting he should be removed from his post. It is not difficult to improve on a service that has not dealt with one complaint in the last x months.

We recently consulted a range of stakeholders, including professional bodies who represent agents, about how to improve our current performance and service provided on the Agent Dedicated Line (ADL).

The professional bodies who represent agents told us that a dedicated phone line remains top of the list of desirables. We want to reassure you that we remain committed to providing the right level of support for agents and that the ADL will remain available.

However, to meet the challenges we face, whilst offering the right support to you, we are introducing the following changes:
• from 2‌‌‌ ‌‌October 2023, we will no longer operate to a 10-minute service level on the ADL – waiting times may vary depending on how many agents are calling us at any one time – we know that a high quality of service is important to you, and removing the 10-minute call answering target will allow us to focus on improving the quality of service we offer 

etf

Postby etf » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:36 pm

Making words up....meant discarded...this is a symtom of listening to HMRC recorded messages for too long.

etf

Postby etf » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:53 am

Clearly a chronic case-symptom

etf

Postby etf » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:04 pm

A poll of 760 taxpayers and tax advisers (651 of which were tax professionals) found that 94% of those surveyed were either ‘somewhat’ or ‘extremely’ dissatisfied with HMRC’s service levels.

Agents criticised long wait times on the agent dedicated line, headaches of dealing with HMRC digitally, delays in processing registration for taxes and waiting over 12 months for a reply to correspondence sent to HMRC.

I can only presume the other 6% are related to Jim Harra.

etf

Postby etf » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:51 am

By Self-Employed and Happy
22nd Sep 2023 09:40
Ready for this...

In the past 2 weeks I have called HMRC 11 times (I have a few pressing issues)

Wait times of over 40 minutes on each

2 calls were answered and queries were recorded to be passed up to the relevant department (that no doubt I'll never hear from)

1 call which was to the complaints department as soon as I said "I am an Agent" said "I need to check the Guidance" then the call was immediately ended.

8 calls weren't answered, either 40-50 minutes in I got the automated "goodbye" or the call just dropped to a dead line.

HMRC is not in any way shape or form fit for purpose, you can bet your last rolo HMRC and Bodies will blame the agents for not sorting issues out, the simple answer is that we can't.

etf

Postby etf » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:30 am

I echo the thoughts below...I was talking to an HMRC lady a month or so ago after repeatedly hitting their brick wall...I said to her 'look HMRC has already contributed to one heart attack....can you get this matter sorted and help my sanity and health'....she assured me her manager never failed to call back...that was over a month ago and I still haven't heard from said manager.

By Self-Employed and Happy
22nd Sep 2023 10:07
In addition to this, I have actually (which is why I'm so angry with HMRC) written to them on behalf of a client (this week) they are wrongly chasing for monies, a pensioner who has multiple heart and anxiety issues (a few heart operations to boot!) that rings me constantly with worry about letters chasing for £10k plus because HMRC haven't actioned an amendment they have promised in writing they would 2-3 YEARS ago.

We have warned the complaint department that if the issue is not resolved in 30 days then the client is happy to go public with it.

My contempt for HMRC is at an all time high and unfortunately I don't actually think the Government even know how bad it is.

etf

Postby etf » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:07 pm

By Springfield
22nd Sep 2023 11:07
Whichever Select Committee has oversight of HMRC should call Harra and a couple of his bag carriers into their meeting room one morning, together with an actual agent accountant with some real life client queries to resolve. They should then ring HMRC on a speaker phone, set a timer, and every single person in that room should sit in silence until the phone is answered.

Only once the call or calls are satisfactorily completed should the clock be stopped. With the agent and client's permission the whole event should be recorded and placed on YouTube.

It won't achieve anything other than to give Harra and his minions an hour or more of awkward and public embarrassment.

Thanks (12)
Replying to Springfield:
By Open all hours
22nd Sep 2023 13:02
It’s a technological version of holding Lucky Jim in the stocks. Great idea.

Thanks (0)
Replying to Springfield:
Tornado
By Tornado
22nd Sep 2023 13:16
I love that idea, but know it would be too revealing and would never happen.

Thanks (0)
Replying to Springfield:
By Catherine Newman
22nd Sep 2023 13:16
Brilliant idea.

Thanks (0)

etf

Postby etf » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:31 am

Still waiting Jim for a call back on all of the promised call-backs promised on this thread....... over month, upon month, upon month.

By Refs1
21st Sep 2023 22:46
Last 3 calls, 55 minutes, 37 minutes and 44 minutes. Old days typically 2 / 3 minutes maximum.

Never knew about 10 minutes target. The agents line is manned by some good people but just too slow now. Much of HMRC sadly is not fit for purpose.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:35 pm

So yesterday HMRC finally called back, but sadly I had popped out to the chemist to pick up my meds and missed their call, though a message was left confirming they had tried. I had asked for a call first thing in the morning (when asked) and the following day promised call back at that time has not materialised so I'm listening to the recorded message 'your call is important to us' (HMRC) for the umpteen time as I can't call the lady who left the message back as her telephone number is secret (17 minutes in).

A good leader would have looked at HMRC systems and worked out that if an agent has to call say 6 times (and still not resolved) and basically leave the same message and nothing happens, that is inefficient for both the agent and HMRC because I'm clogging up their agent phoneline and stopping other calls being put through. In the case I was phoning about HMRC are now issuing demands for amounts everyone agrees are not due but which will not disappear until someone picks up the case that HMRC have had on their desk since January.

My suggestion would be to split HMRC into two in an attempt to do away with the current system which allows anonymous people to take messages to pass onto to other anonymous people who from my experience do very little.

An agent helpline and an agent complaints helpline (published number not a secret squirrel number) which agents can call when HMRC has had a piece of post that has been held and not processed for double HMRC's published wait time. The complaint agents would give their name and direct line number so if the promises they make are not followed through the agent can call them back and not have to repeat the same message to six different people.

Another 32 minutes of my life....and another promised call back this afternoon.....mmmm.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:58 pm

HMRC did phone back as promised and have promised another call by the end of next week with an update. The last two people I have spoken to have impressed but whether the current system permits them to finally get this over the line only time will tell.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”