This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

etf
Re: HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

Postby etf » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:17 pm

Okay next unanswered letter on the rank submitted on 23 June. I'd previously chased and had been told to expect a reply towards the end of October (4+ month wait). No reply.

An hour later I'm told I should get a reply within 10-15 working days (so nearly 5 months after the letter was submitted).

The Civil Service Code states the following:

This Code is part of the contractual relationship between you and your employer. It sets out the high standards of behaviour expected of you which follow from your position in public and national life as a civil servant. You can take pride in living up to these values.

honesty’ is being truthful and open

Is it truthful and open to publish figures so adrift of the reality I am documenting?

etf

Postby etf » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:28 pm

For September 2023, HMRC dealt with 75% of post in 15 working days, but that figure only increased to 87% in 40 working days. So simplistically, if we look at the difference between those two figures one would imagine it should be easy for the 25% of non-dealt with post to be answered within another 25 working days, but HMRC only managed one half of that figure.

Surely HMRC should only deal with new post once the older post has been dealt with? That would put a stop to all the unnecessary chasing calls they have to field and dislike. Someone needs to question Jim about this and also ask him why so many of my letters (routine stuff) fall into the unanswered in 3 months category (roughly 60 working days).

Correspondence turned around within 15 working days (%)
Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep
Monthly 71.5 75.4 75.3 74.1 71.9 75.4
Year-to-date 71.5 73.4 74.1 74.1 73.7 74.0

Correspondence turned around within 40 working days (%)
Apr May Jun Jul Aug
Monthly 91.0 87.7 87.9 83.3 82.9
Year-to-date 91.0 89.4 88.8 87.5 86.7

etf

Postby etf » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:03 am

Unanswered letter dated 3 July. Previously chased and was told 14 week wait. Phoned again today and was told that has now gone up to an expected 23 week wait. Dame Angela please put that on your list of questions for Sir Jim and enquire whether he thinks post wait times approaching 6 months are acceptable especially as HMRC's publicity machine states 75% of post is dealt with within 15 working days.

Appreciate I am like a record stuck in a groove, but HMRC's service is diabolical despite polite call handlers.

I've complained and was told to expect a call back within 48 hours.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:58 pm

I received my promised call back regarding my 3 July unanswered letter. A 23 week waiting time was confirmed to be correct and HMRC are currently working post received in May. 26 December is my target date so with Xmas a likely 6 month wait if I am lucky.

I advised HMRC's team leader that I couldn't understand how this could be given that 75% of post is dealt with within 15 working days and I asked that this question be posed to Jim Harra (in my opinion the architect of these waiting times). An official complaint has been logged.

As is usual in more recent calls the team leader was very understanding of my frustration.

PS Dame Angela Eagle needs to call an EGM with Sir Jim.....in fact it should have been called months ago.

etf

Postby etf » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:10 am

The case where I have been chasing for a 2021/22 tax return refund filed in January this year appeared to have been settled following a number of complaints and many chasing calls. The work had been processed by HMRC and the refund was showing as pending with a 27 October date. It is still pending nearly three weeks later. Got on the phone again this morning with the message average wait times yesterday was 30 minutes. Advised subject to a 1 in 10 (UB40 song) random security check. Complained again as client has been waiting for his very modest refund for nearly 10 months. Told to expect a call back within 2 days. Another 30 mins of wasted time.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:48 am

A new low from Hometing?...3 1/2 years in arrears which was a reply to the frustrated post copied below:

End of my tether with HMRC

I rang HMRC on Tuesday for what was really quite a simple request. The first handler cut me off after saying he was putting me on hold, they must do this on purpose as it's happened over a handful of times now. The second handler put me through to the wrong department. The third handler said it had to be done online. The forth handler was very helpful and was able to action my request in 5 minutes. It really is painfully frustraing and makes me want to pack it in altogehter.

By Hometing
10th Nov 2023 11:30
Just had a letter regarding an EIS relief withdrawal assessment, in response to them being notified of the withdrawal in March 2020. It has taken them 3.5y to raise the assessment and they want to charge interest through to date.... good luck to them with that one.

The client even paid it over to their SA some time ago to show willing but they repaid it.... obviously.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:35 pm

I received the promised call back about my tax refund claimed on a self assessment tax return in January last year. It was confirmed that UB40 (1 in 10) checks are taking place and no one is able to tell me how long that is likely to take because the repayment checkers do not use telephones. Perhaps by the end of the week, but no way of predicting.

These discussions with HMRC are illuminating because the chap told me he has told those further up the food chain that it is crazy someone who submits a tax return in September can receive a refund before someone who submitted their return 8 months earlier. My thoughts exactly, so who are the individuals chasing targets and who are the people who set and monitor these targets where clients get placed at the bottom of the pile for no good reason? The CIOT are meeting with Sir Jim Harra..perhaps something to ask him.

My separate 26 week post waiting time complaint appears to have died a death as they are prone to do on a regular basis.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:36 pm

STET January this year... a long time ago.

etf

Postby etf » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:13 pm

Today's HMRC gem...Thank you for your letter dated 14 February (9 months to deal with correspondence). The zookeeper must go.

etf

Postby etf » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:40 am

Still waiting for:

- tax refund claimed in January...showing as repayment pending since 27 October...repayment checking department seemingly another HMRC under resourced area.

- 26 week waiting time complaint call back...heard nothing..wondering whether a FOI request to establish the number of complaints that are never responed to is a good idea.

Sir Jim has set up his department to fail and it is failing spectacularly despite the huge budget overspend he is in charge of.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”