This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

etf
Re: HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

Postby etf » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:38 am

I was on the train to Paddington last week and it arrived 42 minutes late. I listened to two passengers commenting that they thought two trains behind us had been let through so they were on time and compensation would only have to be paid for our train. GWR actually recommended passengers file a compensation claim on the public address and I received roughly a 1/4 of my fare back.

If the above passenger observations were correct, it was clearly from a customer service perspective the wrong decision. It made me think of the smoke and mirror tactics of Jim Harra's HMRC. They publish the statistic below and yet we are told a task force has been set up to look at post over 12 months old.

Customer correspondence (Post and iForms) cleared within 15 days of receipt 72.7%

To me it is crystal clear HMRC are not dealing with post in order and so they are failing to treat customers even-handedly. When will someone direct this assertion at Sir Jim and not accept the current rubbish performance of HMRC. How about a mandatory refund of a 1/4 of professional fees if post is not dealt with within 2 months?....that would soon sort the backlog out.

etf

Postby etf » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:22 am

I received my promised call back and am confident that my issues will be resolved although it will take a further 2-3 weeks for something HMRC has had since January.

Perhaps my expectations are too high and I should stop posting on such issues given the following post:

By Karen whitehead
06th Oct 2023 09:43
HMRC is becoming a joke. This week I received a letter from VAT office apologising for the delay but saying that they were now going to deal with our request from 23rd February 2021!! I have written back telling them not to bother because after 31 months it is no longer required.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:24 pm

As it appears my long running pursuit of an HMRC reply (8+ months) for one client may be reaching a conclusion in the next few weeks, I'm starting another real-life story.

I wrote to HMRC on 3 July (over 4 months ago-HMRC published response times within 15 days stink in my experience) and have not received a reply from the office below:

HMRC National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
You can call the National Insurance Contributions Office on 0300 200 3500 if you'd prefer. Calls cost up to 12p a minute from landlines and up to 45p a minute from mobiles.

I must admit I had not appreciated that HMRC charge 12p per minute and with an average wait time yesterday of 20 minutes, that looks like a nice little earner for HMRC even before they pick up the phone. I'm not a fan of the automated system on this number as usually it fails to recognise what I say, but 'chasing an unanswered letter' now appears on their comprehension radar.

Now 23 minutes into the call and still listening to the 'your call is important to us' message (in my experience HMRC published average wait times stink).

Now 30 minutes in....£3.60 potential HMRC profit

Now 33 minutes, call answered and passed security-put on hold whilst they investigate

Called ended after 37 minutes...letter received but 14 week wait time (do they include this in their 15 day statistics?) so they are currently dealing with post received on 1 July...my letter was logged on 18 July (15 days after date on letter).

Somebody needs to really grill Jim Harra and get staff answering post instead of working on MTD4IT.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:48 am

And yet they are still dealing with x % of post in 15 days. Stop misleading the public Jim.

By sumo69
13th Oct 2023 09:59
Perhaps HMRC could divert a few million to staffing the Agent Dedicated Line and clearing some of the post backlog - I am still waiting for a client refund arising for higher rate pension relief that was with HMRC in April 22!!

Thanks (1)
Replying to sumo69:
By WallyGandy
13th Oct 2023 11:12
I could not agree more! Are you listening, HMRC? Take that as a "no"

etf

Postby etf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:06 pm

Another glowing endorsement below .....HMRC's customer service under Jim Harra is undoubtedly the worst since at least 1984 when I started work...no other period even comes close and service levels have never been good....shocking his car crash period of stewardship continues unchecked. I just don't recognise x % of post being dealt with in 15 days. Still waiting for numerous responses from January.

By Agutter Accounts
24th Oct 2023 14:51
I have been an agent for over 12 years and the service has gone steadily downhill especially since the pandemic.

I am particularly irritated when you access the agent line and are advised that there is plenty of information online. I only ring the agent line when I cannot get an online answer to my query.

It is taking longer and longer to solve problems. Last week I was told one issue would not be resolved before January 9th, and the other by Xmas Day when they do not work.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:19 pm

Q259 Chair: Jim, in your annual report you say, “I’m disappointed that we
didn’t hit our key customer service standards this year”. Why not?

Jim Harra: If you look at our customer service contact, year on year it is
increasing. In ’22-’23—the year that the report covers—we got 38 million
calls, which was 3 million more than the year before, and we got 16
million pieces of correspondence, which is about 1.4 million more than the
year before, so we are seeing the contact demand go up. Our resources
are going down.

Me How much of your budget have you wasted on MTD4IT Jim? And if you are leaving post unanswered for 12 months would you not expect lots of chasing calls and if people are having to lodge 3 separate complaints for the same client before HMRC takes action is your behaviour not making the situation so much worse than it should be?

etf

Postby etf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:38 pm

HMRC's board not a clue what Jim is doing. Suggest they spend a day in an accountancy practice...they'll soon learn of HMRC's numerous failings.

Q262 Chair: Okay. Just finally from me, to Dame Jayne-Anne, was the board
told about this decision that there would be only two days’ notice? I
appreciate that you knew it was coming, but the bit about the two days’
notice seems to have taken everyone by surprise. Was that the board as
well?
Dame Jayne-Anne Gadhia: No. The board was not aware that it was
only two days’ notice.

etf

Postby etf » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:38 am

The question the MPs should have asked Jim Harra:[/color]

Why did HMRC have to set up a task force to deal with post unanswered after 12 months when you claim to process 74% of post within 15 working days?

Surely, in a well run organisation the 26% of post not processed in the initial 15 days would get looked at and cleared in the following 15 working days?

In 2022 to 2023, we made considerable progress in improving the proportion of customer correspondence that we turn around within 15 working days. Between April and June 2023, this figure had increased to 74%.

HMRC has established a dedicated taskforce to handle mail that is over 12 months old

Sound of Dame Jayne-Anne Gadhia spluttering into her tea when this question is asked.

All those people regulating HMRC... hang your heads in shame.

etf

Postby etf » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:05 am

In case Jim Harra's HMRC ever do get asked the question posed in my earlier post here is a real life example demonstrating how unbelievable 74% is:

Letter sent to HMRC1/9 and received 5/9. I'm being chased by the client for an update. Telephoned HMRC and advised I should expect a reply by 5 December (estimated 3 month waiting time)

I initiated a complaint and was told I'd receive a call back within 3 working days 'give or take a few days either side'.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:56 pm

I received my promised call back and a reply is in the post (it was confirmed that I jumped the 3 month queue by complaining).

As the queue target for post is officially 3 months I can only deduce that HMRC's published statistics are attempting to mislead everyone (who doesn't deal with them regularly) into thinking everything in the world of HMRC post answering is hunky dory.

Hopefully Wallasey's finest Angela Eagle will see that I have set her up with an unanswerable question for her next meeting with Sir Jim Harra and the sound of tea spluttering will resonate around the room as it should.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”