This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

etf
Re: HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

Postby etf » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:59 pm

AN APOLOGY TO HAMMY HAMSTER The sloth of Sir Jim's HMRC make you look like Usain Bolt

Posted about a month ago by neil groom

Hello
My self-assessment repayment was applied to the statement on 8 August, and the refund shown as pending.
Knowing that this can sometimes take a week or two, I waited before phoning HMRC on 22 August - I was told that the repayment was subject to security checks, and that repayment would be made by 31 October. Phoning today (1 November) I am now told that this is subject to security checks and not to phone back before 10 January 2024.
I appreciate that you can't give specific guidance here, but can you please advise how long security checks take? I am concerned that every time I phone HMRC, the deadline is arbitrarily moved, with no explanation of why.

Posted 27 days ago by HMRC Admin 25

Hi neil groom,

The timescale for the securtiy checks are based on the current position in HMRC.

If you have been advised the current timescale is 10 January 2024 then this would be the date we would need to allow for the checks to be completed, but, they can be completed before then.

If you have an onlne account if you check once the repayment is issued it will show the issue date.

Thank you.

etf

Postby etf » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:02 pm

Posted 4 months ago by Henry5dad

HMRC's unacceptable delay in refunding my overpaid tax is a cause of significant financial worry for me. My request for refund was confirmed on the 10th of July 2023. I use the online portal to communicate. The payment shows in my Personal Tax Account as Pending.
The refund request confirmation states that (Paraphrase) - "HMRC aim to refund in 2 weeks or if additional security procedures are used, upto 4 weeks. Do not contact us before 4 weeks.
The Self-Assessment phoneline is closed until the 4th of September. What?!
Working with the Online chat I get such an impersonal service it makes it almost impossible to communicate effectively. Finally on attempt 3 I get through to someone a little more helpful, however, they are unable to progress anything because the Additional Security Checks are carried out by another department and they cannot contact or comment on the activities there. Just unacceptable! Then comes the threat that continuing to pursue HMRC could lead to further delays...
When attempting to Challenge the verdict of Chat operator, all I get is a message saying "XXX has exited the Chat". This would be exactly the same as having the phone put down on me. Rude!
Also, I have been told that the current set of Security delays could impact the refund upto September 25th. In chat number 2 I was told 10th October, so which might I believe? If HMRC feel it acceptable to end the discussion when the verdict is given, surely a consistent verdict is required in such a binary transaction?
What will HMRC do to compensate me for the missed investment opportunity this delay is causing, or lost personal opportunity? Will interest be added?
Ultimately, this cannot be considered an acceptable level of service. My cash is being with held by HMRC for no fault of my own, without the right to do so, and seemingly also outside of the advice given in HMRC communication.
Is there a serious problem here? Is there a resource issue that needs addressing? When will the information provided by HMRC be consistent, correct and adhered to by HMRC?
In order to support HMRC, I am happy to contact my local MP and request Questions be raised in the House if HMRC has some fundamental operating issues . What would HMRC wish me to contact my MP about, where is my support most helpful and on which specific topics? Please confirm so I can be most helpful.
Finally, when should I expect you to release my very hard earned money? Note: My Money.
What a shambles...

Posted 4 months ago by BigJohnTheBrikkie

I submitted my Tax Return on 14th April and it went Pending on 18th April, no communication and no payment. Has the Government run out of money as there is now way it should take nearly 4 months to pay out, Contact you MP Henry as I am doing this today, questions need to be asked.
Posted 4 months ago by Henry5dad

etf

Postby etf » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:09 pm

Posted 2 months ago by Paula Sparrow

I submitted a tax Return for a client on 14 June and we are still waiting for the repayment. "Security checks" is the only response I get when I phone. None of this is acceptable.

etf

Postby etf » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:40 am

27 Oct 2023 Repayment pending

Driving home for Christmas
Seemingly without my client tax refund issue resolved
Witheld by Sir Jim Harra, HMRC's own Mr Grinch
If he cancelled MTD all other failed services would recover and suddenly become a cinch.

BigJohnTheBrikkie wants his dosh
He thinks HMRC service levels are tosh
His tax repayment shows up as pending
But in fact the wait for its issue is never ending

BigJohn wonders whether he can bring his repayment to the top of the queue with payment of a backhander
Failing that Sir Jim must be exiled to Rwanda
No apology for my candor
The other option is a crate to China with a couple of panda

etf

Postby etf » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:12 pm

The regulators of HMRC should hang their heads in shame...how many more of these stories need to posted before somebody takes action?

Repayment pending
Posted 10 months ago by Krzysztof

Hello,

I’ve submitted a repayment request at 26 Nov 2022 and is still pending.
I’ve received a security checks letter which I replied to and it has been collected at 19th Jan.
Could anyone tell me how long it usually takes to process these security checks?

Posted 10 months ago by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

We would not be able to give a timescale for this as there are different timescales for departments within HMRC.

You will need to contact our helpline :

Self Assessment: general enquiries .

Thank you.

Posted 10 months ago by Kevin Barrett

A tax return has been submitted to HMRC in November 2022. Two subsequent requests for repayments have been submitted to HMRC but on 1st February I am still waiting for the repayment. Just called the helpline and they were unable to help and had to seek further assistance and then after 45 minutes on the call I was cut off with a message saying "Thanks for calling HMRC, Goodbye!" - Now I will have to call again and wait 20minutes for someone to pick up the phone to go through the whole process again.

It bemuses me how tax does have to be taxing!

Posted 8 months ago by Wendy Sigle

I have had exactly the same problem. I submitted my tax return on time, and then realised that you had not sent my repayment automatically as you had done in previous years. I requested a repayment on February 14. It is still pending. After several calls to 0300 200 3600. and several failed attempts to get through to 0300 200 3610 (gave up after being on hold for an nearly an hour), I am wondering what I can do to sort out this problem. If this is a general problem with your website, I hope someone is making an effort to fix it?

Posted 8 months ago by HMRC Admin 32

Hi Wendy,

If the repayment has not gone through you need to speak with our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted 6 months ago by Amy Wells

I submitted my self assesment April 22nd and it is still appearing as repayment pending in the app. I have contacted Hmrc several times so I am aware the money is going through additional checks however iv received no letters regarding security checks. I’d be more than happy to provide additional information of Hmrc were to send me the letter. As far as I am concerned Hmrc are withholding my money from me and iv contacted my local mp

Posted 6 months ago by Keanodog

I applied for a tax refund online on 11/05/2023. It said that I would be contacted by 04/06/2023. This didn't happen. Tried the online assistant, but just went round in circles, so in desperation I rang the 03002003300 (self assessment line is closed until September !!!) number, only to be told to try the online assistant. This is not good enough. I need this money to pay bills, I am liable to be homeless before HMRC decide to open the SE helpline again. Please can someone help ?
Posted 6 months ago by Chris Garrett

Hi I submitted my return on the 6th of May 2023
Spoke with one of the hmrc team an they said I would receive payment by the 20th of June but still no payment an now no way of getting hold of the hmrc due to closer on the app it doesn’t really help an getting no where with this
Posted 6 months ago by Romeo Santiago

Hi Admin,

I submitted a self assessment tax return on the 3rd/05/2023. My account “STILL says “Bank Repayment Pending”. Every time I call up HMRC, I have to wait over an hour and if by the grace of God I “DO” manage to get through, a HMRC employee always tells me something different from the previous person that I had spoken to regarding the same issue. Can someone please look into my issue and tell me exactly how long do I have to wait for something that should have only taken a few days?
Posted 5 months ago by HMRC Admin 19

Hi Amy Wells,

When the repayment is reviewed if we require any further information you will receive a letter.

We cannot comment on the current position as we cannot access your record from this forum. You will need to contact our Self Assessment team by webchat if you have any further query.

Thank you.

Posted 5 months ago by HMRC Admin 19

Hi Keanodog,

If you use the online digital assistant and type "Self Assessment refund", once, it gives you the estimated timescales.

You can also type "adviser" and this will try and put you through to a webchat adviser if available.

Thank you.

Posted 5 months ago by HMRC Admin 25

Hi Romeo Santiago,

If the repayment is still pending it will have been selected for additional security checks.

The current timescale for these checks is 10 weeks.

If you wish to query this further you will need to contact our Self Assessment Team by webchat:

Thank you.

Posted 5 months ago by PaulyPost

Same story as above! I've been waiting since 6th April. Yes I submitted my return bang on time. Telephoned the 'help' line on 22/5 and 8/6 and both times told it was going thru 'subject to security'. On June 8th after 75 mins on hold I was told that there's a note on the file that I am 'of no interest'. Tried again on 26/6 to find that the line is closed till Sept 4th!! Broken Britain at its worst. for the last four years the average time from claim to bank credit has been 10 calendar days! I have contacted my MP who says she will contact HMRC for me. Fingers crossed. Additionally I've been unable to get in to my personal account because the activation code generator seems to be broken till Sept also? Just on hold now for the 0300 200 3600 number but after 30 mins no luck. Replies saying contact the Self Assesment team are having a laugh

etf

Postby etf » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:15 am

Another unhappy camper below....Sir Jim is not helping the Tory cause...Labour's secret weapon. I wonder whether HMRC regret opening their forums....they record how shit the service is and how crap their resolution skills are. Time to bring back Esther Rantzen

Refund delay
Posted 29 days ago by PaulHam Hamilton

I completed my self-assessment income tax for the 2022-2023 fiscal year in January 2023. I am entitled to a substantial tax refund, and my account currently reflects this. I have utilized the funds to cover late fees. In early September, I submitted a request to withdraw the refund. I was initially informed that the payment would be processed within two weeks. However, after two weeks, I received neither the refund nor any communication. My account still indicates that the payment is 'pending.' Upon calling HMRC, I was informed that the refund had been selected for additional security checks, which could take up to six weeks. I inquired if I could provide additional information to expedite the security checks but was told that a letter may or may not be issued requesting further details.

Now, it has been ten weeks, and I have not received any further communication from HMRC. The payment is still pending in my account. When I contacted HMRC to follow up, I was informed that the additional security checks might not be resolved until January 16, 2024. Unfortunately, I am unable to directly communicate with the team responsible for processing the repayment, and HMRC personnel cannot contact that team for an update until after the specified date.

I believe that withholding funds from a taxpayer for six months, especially when the amount is not in question, constitutes gross misconduct on the part of HMRC. I have never encountered a situation where a public or private entity has withheld such a significant amount of funds without providing a valid reason. This delay is causing extreme financial distress for me, and I feel powerless to address the situation.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue? If so, have you found a way to resolve the situation, and is there a process to escalate the matter? I find it difficult to believe that refunds should take this long to process. HMRC deducted more money from my paycheck than necessary, and they are now causing significant delays in repaying it. Your advice and insights would be greatly appreciated.
Posted 22 days ago by HMRC Admin 25

Hi PaulHam Hamilton,

As your repayment has been selected for securtiy checks then we would advise of the current timescale.

We apologise for the delay in the checks being completed.

Once completed if no issues then the repayment will be issued and the issued date will show on your online account.

If additional information is needed then a letter will be issued to you.

If you are unhappy with the delay and want to escalate then you can submit a complaint.

To submit a complaint online you need to go to:

Complain about HMRC

Select complain online if you're an individual or a business.

Log in using the relevant HMRC online services account or 'Create sign in details' to create a new account.

Thank you.

etf

Postby etf » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:54 am

Jim to Jeremy, 'you told me that we have to check 1 in 10 repayments, but we have a 3 month backlog, can I have some more money?'

Jeremy to Jim 'Jim, how much have you overspent on MTD4IT?'

Jim to Jeremy, '3 month waits it is then'

Posted 3 years ago by Claudiu

I submitted my tax return in november.After 2-3 months i saw my repayment got in “bank repayment pending”.I called hmrc on february and they told it will be dealt before 19 april.I called them yesterday and told me to wait one more day.Today i called again and they tell me that I probably should wait 8 more weeks.Why is that?

etf

Postby etf » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:52 am

Following my post this morning it comes straight from the horse's mouth...suspect anyone who has tried to contact HMRC will be shaking their heads at the statement below. Is he an idiot or a liar? Has he heard of 11 month waits (and still waiting) for refunds to be issued/23 week predicted wait times for post to be dealt with (and that assumes somebody is working on Boxing Day).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt maintained that the tax authority “will be able to meet their customer service targets with the resources they have”.

etf

Postby etf » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:46 am

Have you a comment Mr Hunt?

etf

Postby etf » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:42 am

27 Oct 2023 Repayment pending (tax return filed in January 2023)

No money to correctly staff HMRC, but money from taxpayers available for MPs losing their seats to have their CVs written...the me, me, me culture.

Sorry...initially posted this on the wrong thread :roll:

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”