This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

No Fine Reference Number

Gorem
No Fine Reference Number

Postby Gorem » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:53 am

Hi. This is my first post here, and I'm not sure if this is the right place.

I completely forgot to do my tax return for 2020/2021, and have received a £100 fine.

First, they sent the letter over 10 days ago, so time is ticking to pay it. Second, I don't have a passport and have to wait for a posted PIN, so that's even less time. And finally, there is no X reference number on the letter or payslip they sent.

Could someone please advise where I can find the correct reference number, since I want to pay this ASAP to avoid further costs? I cannot find any other way to pay without the X number.

For an agency that sends pretty nasty letters demanding money, HMRC makes it pretty challenging to actually give them the money the demand. I feel that I am going to go over the deadline and begin incurring more charges.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Thank you,
Michael.

Jholm

Re: No Fine Reference Number

Postby Jholm » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:52 pm

Personal opinion but there is no point in paying it if you haven't already filed the return. Also as of over 2 months ago, it is now incurring £10 daily penalties so will actually be considerably more than £100. Goes up to max of £1,600 penalties eventually. That excludes interest on any tax that should have been paid.

You might want to consider filing and appealing rather than blindly paying penalties, which in my opinion, is an admission of guilt and hinders the chances of a successful penalty appeal.

If there was no reason to complete the TR, they may just withdraw it along with any penalties.

Gorem

Postby Gorem » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:45 pm

Thanks.

I didn't become self-employed until 27 December 2020, so there isn't much there, and I don't owe any tax. They just want the tax return anyway. I was under the allusion that I didn't need to return taxes for the first year of self employment. It appears this is some kind of myth in the UK. I'm not sure why I didn't file a return. I can only assume I received the letter on a day I had an epileptic seizure and put it away, only to forget about it. Hopefully, this is reasonable grounds for an appeal. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:25 pm

I would file the return ASAP and provided there is no tax or NICs due, appeal the penalties and interest on the basis that there has been no tax loss to HMRC. Generally have good success with this but they might want an explanation as to why it's late.

Gorem

Postby Gorem » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:24 pm

Thanks.

I would have done the return today. However, I have to wait for an ID verification PIN to come through the post.

All this messing around after I already verified my ID after a 2 hour wait phone call, (no passport and I don't drive because I'm epileptic) so they could send my UTR. They don't make it easy to pay.

Can penalties be paid in instalments? I am a freelance writer and actually earn less than minimum wage, so I don't have £1,600 lying around.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:01 pm

It’s a self assessment penalty, therefore the reference is your self assessment UTR, as shown on the penalty notice.

Gorem

Postby Gorem » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:06 pm

Cheers for the reply. But the online form states I need a reference that begins with an X which is nowhere to be found. Also, my UTR isn't on the penalty notice either. I do have a UTR though. Am I missing something?

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:31 am

If you really want to pay, choose a payment option here. The reference will be your UTR followed by K, eg. 1234554321K.

This will pay it to your SA record correctly.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:34 am

Cheers for the reply. But the online form states I need a reference that begins with an X which is nowhere to be found. Also, my UTR isn't on the penalty notice either. I do have a UTR though. Am I missing something?
You only need that online section if you have a charge beginning with an X. These are normally enquiry settlements, or wrong doing type penalties.
You are paying a self assessment penalty. Use your UTR.

Gorem

Postby Gorem » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:45 am

Thanks so much for all the replies.

I will give these solutions a try. HMRC could at least tell me what you guys know.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”