This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC always say return has changed before submitting - Why?

Fasteddie
HMRC always say return has changed before submitting - Why?

Postby Fasteddie » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:09 pm

I have been filing self assessment tax returns on the HMRC website for some clients recently (I didn't offer it previously). Each time the same thing happens. I finish completing the return and email a copy to my client for approval which normally take some time. By the time they have approved it and emailed me back I have often been logged out of the HMRC site. So I log back in, go to client return section and the submit page (having not altered anything on the return) but wat this point I am told that the reference number has changed as I have made changes to the return. Is this some little quirk of their site? I just go ahead and submit as obviously the returns that have been approved and submitted are identical, just that now their reference numbers are apparently different. Does this happen to everyone or is it some quirk of my computer/windows 11/browser combination?

pawncob

Re: HMRC always say return has changed before submitting - Why?

Postby pawncob » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:58 am

HMRC issue a new acknowledgement ref. number every time a return is submitted, whether there are changes or not.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Fasteddie

Re: HMRC always say return has changed before submitting - Why?

Postby Fasteddie » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:01 pm

HMRC issue a new acknowledgement ref. number every time a return is submitted, whether there are changes or not.
Thank you, that's interesting to know. I had wrongly assumed that HMRC were suggesting the two references should in some way be the same (the reference from the approved return and the submitted return) as a sort of simple, quick way to confirm (in case of later dispute) that the return had not been altered between approval and submission.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”