This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pre-empting fine and avoiding next time

langtonbrow
Pre-empting fine and avoiding next time

Postby langtonbrow » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:46 am

Hello

Reposted from "income tax" as this appears to be a more appropriate forum. Several related questions.

My mother is incapacitated and cannot manage her own tax affairs. I do this now.
HMRC have "not received" paper Self Assessment tax return forms sent by post last July. I have belatedly discovered they haven't processed the document after telephoning to prompt them to send the bill. Hence I am liable for a penalty.

Q1 - Can I mitigate the penalty by paying x on account, where x will exceed the likely liability - which they will be able to calculate once they receive the form that I am about to send them (again).

Q2 - This is in part caused as my mother cannot get a government ID, by virtue of not having a passport or driving license. To them she is a non-person, which I find somewhat discriminatory. Hence her identity cannot be verified. Can I act as an agent on her behalf, obtaining an agent login to act for her? I am not professionally qualified but can usually manage a standard self assessment (apart from the postage part....).

All thoughts welcomed.

thank you.

AGoodman

Re: Pre-empting fine and avoiding next time

Postby AGoodman » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:49 pm

Q1 - Yes, it is common to pay the tax at the same time as submitting the return (particularly people who file in January)
Q2 - No, there is a fair bit to becoming an agent (in HMRC parlance) and involves anti-money laundering regulation etc.

Is it possible to register her using her NI details? (I don't know, although i do know HMRC IT can be horribly user unfriendly for anything out of the ordinary so you have my sympathies).

langtonbrow

Re: Pre-empting fine and avoiding next time

Postby langtonbrow » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. I haven't bothered to calculate the tax as it involves partnership income as well, but I have bunged them more than they will likely need, in the hope that can we avoid a fine.
I don't hold out my hopes as the paper form has only now been re-sent and I expect they will lose it again. They are effectively scamming people through ineptitude.

Longer term registering as a "helper" may be possible assuming I can generate an ID for her. Later in the year this may be possible using credit records and SA return figures, which they now have.
Alternatively I may hand it over to a professional agent, based on my time taken to achieve very little.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”