This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Appeal by agent

Brightonian
Appeal by agent

Postby Brightonian » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:13 pm

Hello, I have a very simple question but it's driving me mad that I can't see the answer anywhere.

I act for a small number of personal tax clients. Perhaps I've been lucky in that none of them have managed to incur penalties over the years. I have now taken on a client who has a number of late filing and late payment penalties. I want to appeal these on her behalf but can't find anything official that says I can do this. I am pointed to SA370, which needs to be signed by the client.

In the old days before self-assessment I worked for a large accountancy firm and we routinely made appeals on our clients' behalf. Can I still do that?

I feel a bit silly asking this, as I have worked in tax, off and on, for over 30 years. . . . .

Thank you.

bd6759

Re: Appeal by agent

Postby bd6759 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:27 am

I am pointed to SA370, which needs to be signed by the client.
Says who?

Read the box at the bottom of page 2!

Brightonian

Postby Brightonian » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:13 pm

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

I feel rather silly now!

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:20 pm

;)

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”