This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New Interest Restriction for Landlords

Lambs
New Interest Restriction for Landlords

Postby Lambs » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:43 pm

So this new measure restricts the deduction for interest, etc., for anyone subject to Income Tax. (New ITTOIA 272A)

Companies are explicitly saved.

Separate measures allow an individual BR tax relief where he or she has an interest in (up to) 100% of profits including residential property business income. This will apply to individuals, (including joint investors and) partnerships (s274A)

Separate measures afford individuals tax relief where they take out a loan to invest in a partnership which lets out residential property. (ITA 07 s399A)

Anyone see anything for Trusts? Because I didn't. I suppose that where an individual has an IIP then he or she will fall within the scope of s274A. But discretionary trusts look to me like they've been either overlooked or deliberately broadsided.

Agree / disagree?

Regards,

Lambs

bd6759

Re: New Interest Restriction for Landlords

Postby bd6759 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:10 pm

Would a discretionary trust be in a position to borrow money to buy a property?

Return to “Professionals in Practice & Industry”