This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CIS exemption

macdvt1
CIS exemption

Postby macdvt1 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:36 am

I employ a two surveyors and our main work is land surveying and movement monitoring (over 95% of our work), we are occasionally asked to set out a house or road for a client (less than 5% of our work), are we still exempt from CIS deductions for the setting out aspect? I have spoken on the telephone to an HMRC adviser but they say they are not sure and I need to check online, there is no clarity on any of their web pages.

Lambs

Re: CIS exemption

Postby Lambs » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:53 am

M,

I am not sure what you mean by "setting out" but this from HMRC's CIS Reform Manual:

"FA04/S74 (3)(e) excludes the following operations from the Construction Industry Scheme:

‘the professional work of architects or surveyors, or of consultants in building, engineering, interior or exterior decoration or the laying-out of landscape’.
Note that this exclusion does not apply to all ‘professionals’ involved in construction projects on a self-employed basis. It applies to surveyors and architects even though their professional disciplines do or may include supervisory or executive function or responsibility."

Guidance in full at

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/construction-industry-scheme-reform/cisr14270

Kind regards,

Lambs

Return to “Professionals in Practice & Industry”