This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on shares purchased before a company floated

windi64
CGT on shares purchased before a company floated

Postby windi64 » Thu May 12, 2022 6:35 pm

Hi,

I made an investment in a company startup in 1999. I was issued shares in the company at that time.
In 2018 the company floated on the London Stock Exchange and I was issued a number of shares based on a multiple of the number of my original shares.
In 2021 I sold a number of these shares which resulted in a large gain. I am currently completing my 2021-2022 Tax Return and need to know the most efficient way of working out my taxable gain.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pawncob

Re: CGT on shares purchased before a company floated

Postby pawncob » Fri May 13, 2022 10:04 am

There's only one way to do it.
sale proceeds less proportion of base cost.
eg Investment £5000, resulting in 10,000 shares (after scrip issue). Sold 2000 shares. Base cost 2/10 of £5000.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

windi64

Re: CGT on shares purchased before a company floated

Postby windi64 » Sat May 14, 2022 5:01 pm

Hi pawn cob,

Many thanks for the info.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”