This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Will I pay CGT on selling my flat?

mazzaj

Postby mazzaj » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:11 am

Hi -- we live in New Zealand (been there for 27months). We intend to stay there for another 2 years. On our return, we wish to sell our flat - will we be liable to capital gains tax? We have been renting the house out during our absence, paying tax on the rental income.

I have heard about the 36month rule -- so would it be better to try and sell the house within this period or wait until we get back in 2005?

Thanks
Matt

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:16 am

Depends when you actually bought the property- if prior to 1998 and sold in the tax year before you return, then no CGT to pay, otherwise as you originally lived in it PPR relief is due on the time you actually lived there and you will also have the benefit of the 36 month rule and also the letting exemption.

If bought before 1998 then would suggest you sell in tax year prior to return to avoid having to report the gain at all.

Regards.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”