This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying house from Mother

paul bridges

Postby paul bridges » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:58 am

My father died last year, leaving my mother to manage a number of buy to let properties. I propose buying two of the properties - one to live in, the other to manage the flats, to relieve her of this burden. What are the tax implications? My mother bought the properties for 250K, spending 100K on renovations.

Specifically, how will the market value of the properties be assessed for tax purposes? Say, the properties were valued at 1 million and I paid my mother 800K. Would she still be liable for CGT (or other?) on the remaining 200K (we have had a range of valuations - 800K to 1m)? Can we define the market value? Also, the properties require extensive renovation - can this be deducted from the "market value" (thus giving a justifiable purchase price of 800K)? I guess there may also be future inheritance tax issues? Thanks for your help.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:10 am

As you are connected persons, the properties will be deemed to be sold for market value (as determined by the District Valuer if necessary), so you can buy from your mother for whatever price you deem appropriate, with possibly a large saving on stamp duty.

Renovation costs will be deemed part of the acquisition cost when it is time to sell.

Inheritance tax could play a large part in the future and you need to seek professional advice regarding estate planning for the family.

Regards.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”