This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SECOND PROPERTY

peekay

Postby peekay » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:06 pm

I purchased a small one bed flat in Jan 96,lived there for only 6 months and moved on and decided to let.I have recently moved back into the flat April 03.I am now in the process of purchasing a second property,would it be prudent to nominate the flat as my main residence as it has more than doubled in price, and I have had several offers for it.Would this exempt me from possible C.G.T.
Many Thanks,
Paul Kearney

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:48 am

Paul,

this election will not exempt your from CGT for the whole period. However there are a number of reliefs available to you.

If you have two properties and could live in one of the other an election is required. If you only have one property that you can live in (ie the other is rented out) your PPR will be a matter of fact, and not election.

If you would like me to estimate your CGT liability, please give me a ring.

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”