This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Rented property

patvu

Postby patvu » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:25 am

I bought my flat in November 1998 for £125,000. I rented this out two weeks after.
I have sold this property in October 2002 for £250,000. I have only lived in this flat for 2 months (August 2002) as my main residence. The coucil tax, electorate roll, electricty bills etc were in my name for this two months.
Could you tell me how much CGT I have to pay and if I quality for the £40,000 relief or the 3 years exemption.
Thanks

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:57 am

Pat,

As a rough calculation the gain is fully relieved by your occupation, assuming this is accepted by the IR as your PPR.

3 years out of 4 relived = 93k

Remainder = 32k, soaked up by letting relief.

You will however need to report this on your 2002/3 tax return.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”