This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Second Property Tapered Tax releif and CTG

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Postby nichoha » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:18 am

Hi, I have a 2 bed property that I bought in 1980 I lived there for 10 years then moved out in 1990, and have rented it ever since. I am thinking of selling it to buy a larger property to let. I realise I will have to pay CTG but will also have tapered tax relief. If I put my husbands name on the deeds would I still get the tapered tax relief? Also, who calculates this for - accountant, solicitor or tax man? Thank you for any help.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Postby deanshepherd » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:52 am

An accountant or tax adviser will be able to deal with the CGT payable on the property. Certain solicitors may do this for you but most will just deal with the conveyancing.

Depending on your husbands circumstances it may not be beneficial to transfer ownership to him - particularly if he has not lived in the property at any period of time.

Currently you will get 13/26 years tax free due to Principal Private Residence (PPR) relief. The remaining 13 years may also be exempt, up to a maximum of £40,000. You will also have indexation allowance, taper relief and your annual CGT exemption.

The CGT payable may not be all that significant compared to the sales proceeds.

MMI Accountancy

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”