This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cgt on a holiday home

scottaskew@supanet.c

Postby scottaskew@supanet.c » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:01 am

I bought a house 3 years ago which i lived in for 6 months and then moved into rented accomodation with my partner. we have let the house out as a holiday home for the last 2.5 years and am now selling it as we had lost money on it. I paid 130k for it and after a lot of improvement it has now been valued at 260k. will I be liable for CGT and if so how much?

Nigel Lord

Postby Nigel Lord » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:13 am

Scott

You will be entitled to 100% Principal Private Residence (PPR) Relief for the period during which you were resident, and for the last 36 months of ownership.

Therefore no taxable gain will arise.

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Nigel Lord
Lord Associates
Taxation & Business Consultants
Caxton House
Old Station Road
Loughton
Essex, IG10 4PE
020 8418 9101 & 07769 931852
mail@lordassociates.co.uk

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:42 am

You still need to enter it on your Tax Return, though- I assume you have been declaring the income in the meantime?

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates
Chartered Tax Advisers
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”