This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on only property

mark.stapleton@facti

Postby mark.stapleton@facti » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:56 am

I bought a house in 1999. The purchase price of the house was £92k. I lived in the property from purchase ( for 3yrs, 8mths) until a few weeks ago, when I let it out for a 6 month period, whilst I rent a room elsewhere. The property is now worth approx 200k. Can I sell the property at the end of this 6 month tenancy without being liable for CGT?

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:04 am

Mark,

As you have been living in the property, you can claim full relief for the final 3 years of ownership, even if you do not live there.

6 months will pose no problems.

You will of course need to fill in a tax return for the rental income. if you need any help with this, I would be pleased to help.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”