This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Flat for Mum

larryD

Postby larryD » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:53 pm

5 years ago my Fiancee and I purchased a flat for my elderly Mum, now we've found a more suitable home much closer to us and we're thinking of moving her. (the new home is slightly more expensive.)

As there's a lot of profit in the flat, we're concerned that this will be subject to CGT and paying it will limit our ability to pay the second mortgage.

Is there a way of completing the conveyance without losing everything?

regards

Larry

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:01 am

Larry,

At the moment, assuming only your mother has lived in the flat, you and your fiancée will be liable to the CGT, calculated at the difference between the purchase and sales price, less some minor relief’s and your personal allowances.

Depending on the level of profit there may or may be no liability. If you would like me to estimate the liability for your, please let me know.

If there is a substantial gain, there is a route available for you - a gift into a discretionary trust in your mothers favour. This would utilise your mothers main residence relief. This may not be suitable if your mother has a large estate (assets over £255k) and is of ill health, as it could result in a large IHT bill, or you need to move quickly. However correctly done in the right circumstances it could save you the CGT.

If you would like to explore this further, please let me know. I have a good contact who can set this sort of scheme up for you.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

larryD

Postby larryD » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:24 pm

James,

during the 5.5 years of ownership, the flat was used for 6 months as her PPR (verifiable).

excluding the periods of rental for the moment, here's the figures:

Flat purchase price - £59,950 (£9,950 deposit, £50,000 Mortgage)outstanding mortgage £45,000

likely Flat sale price - 143,000

her expected gross earnings for 2003-04 are 11.5k (taxed at the lower rate).

should we decide to proceed with this, please advise possible CTG due

many thanks

Larry

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:34 am

Larry,

as we discussed on the 'phone, the PPR makes a big difference. This drops the CGT from approx 83k (ignoring taper relief) to around £30k.

As the property is rented the 30k is cancelled out by lettings relief, bringing the liabilty to zero.

However as we discussed you need to take steps to declare the rental income or you will be in no position to claim this relief, and of course the sale of the property needs to be declared.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

larryD

Postby larryD » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:41 am

James,

thanks for this,

I plan to assemble all the info regarding rental income and revert to you re: filing past tax returns as discussed.

In the meantime, I need to find out the worse case scenario so as we can make a decision on whether to proceed with the conveyance.

Lastly,

1) is the initial deposit deductable from the tax calculation and is 30k the taxable amount or the tax payable.

please advise

Larry D

Nigel Lord

Postby Nigel Lord » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:17 am

Larry

There is a possible solution to your dilemma which may work if you can buy some time. It would eliminate all of the potential CGT tax exposure. This involves the use of a discretionary trust arrangement.

If you would like me to advise you whether it is suitable, please copy me in on all of the information that you are providing to James.

Nigel Lord
Lord Associates
Taxation & Business Consultants
Caxton House
Old Station Road
Loughton
Essex, IG10 4PE
020 8418 9101 & 07769 931852
mail@lordassociates.co.uk

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:10 am

Larry,

I think it would be helpful if you gave me a call again so we can go through the points you raise above - the email you sent yesterday has unfortunately not arrived.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”