This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taper relief on property used for business

Charlie Owen

Postby Charlie Owen » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:40 am

I have a client who jointly owned a property with his wife which they rented out to their trading company. They held the property for 2 years and rented it out to the trading company for 2 years so ordinarily, full business taper would apply.

However, once the company stopped using the property, it took approximately 6 months to sell during which time it was unused.

Does anyone know whether this last period would be treated as non-business and if so, any references to any statute which may be relevant?

Thanks

kevin9

Postby kevin9 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:14 am

The property is classed as a non-business asset for the last 6 months prior to sale during which it was unused by the company. However taper relief is based on whole years and so the last 6 months is unlikely to affect the taper relief available. See TCGA1992 Sch A1 para 3. Hope this helps.

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:36 am

If the last 6 months is considered non-business use, does this not make it a mixed-use asset for taper relief purposes, meaning part of the gain attracts business asset taper relief and part non-business asset taper relief?

Charlie Owen

Postby Charlie Owen » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:26 am

I agree Instinctive, that was what my understanding of the situation was. However, I thought it seemed a little harsh for the Revenue to strictly call the last 6 months non-business and hence taint the taper when all the client was trying to do was sell the property.

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:40 am

To be honest, I haven't researched this to see whether there is a time limit during which the business use is deemed to have continued during the last 6 months for taper relief purposes.

It may be that although the business stopped using the property, it was still held by the the company under an informal lease and from which they were released only upon sale. I recall something similar in respect of premises which become surplus to requirements but am unsure without researching to see if this extends to taper relief.

Ramnik

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”