This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Typical costs for professional advice for CGT

Junebug

Postby Junebug » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:06 am

We're selling a rented flat (my former home). The tax position is probably moderately complicated. We've had an initial meeting with a tax adviser and the advice letter they'll provide to help us cut our CGT will cost £1500-2000 plus VAT (hard for us to find up-front). Is this a typical figure for a national company? Might a small local company be cheaper?

The Ivy Office Ltd

Postby The Ivy Office Ltd » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:02 pm

Hi there,
We will do it for less.
Feel free to contact us.

Dennis

maths

Postby maths » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:04 pm

Very difficult to comment on this information.

Certainly a local advisor is likely to be cheaper but whether the advice would be as "good" may be arguable. However, if the issue is not that difficult which prima facie it wouldn't seem to be suggest you check costs with a local advisor before proceeding.

If you can set out basic facts on this site you may well get some good "free" advice. Why not try?

Junebug

Postby Junebug » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Thanks. The flat was bought 2000 by myself and partner, lived in by me only (and I paid for everything) until 2005 then rented. We got married this year and are thinking of an interspousal transfer to cut costs before selling. Not sure how simple/difficult a problem this is for an adviser.

adelante

Postby adelante » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:00 pm

If it was bought by yourself and your partner in 2000 then you already own it jointly so I dont see how you can transfer something which is already in joint names !

If however it was only in your name and it was you PPR from 2000 to 2005 then there will be no CGT to pay so no need to do an inter spouse transfer.

Give us some more information and you may find there will be no need to pay for the advice

Junebug

Postby Junebug » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:56 am

We bought it jointly but my partner never lived there and had his PPR elsewhere; he I think would therefore be liable for CGT on selling the flat? Our plan is to transfer it into my name only so that it would qualify as my PPR for the whole period (I lived in it for 5 years, and it has since been rented for 2+ years). The potential profit on sale is somewhere around £150 so the tax bill could be big if we don't sort it out right.

al_eebee

Postby al_eebee » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:49 am

What you are proposing would seem to do the trick as you anticipate.

If that is exactly what you told the original adviser it seems a very high quote, unless there are other things you have not mentioned.

I presume you mean a gain of £150k not £150? :)

CDavey9501@aol.com

Postby CDavey9501@aol.com » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:40 am

Would he not be liable to CGT when he transfers his share to you?

paul_dgw

Postby paul_dgw » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:12 am

Are you married? can you be classed as spouse, if not it may be deemed a gift from him to you in which case he would be liable for cgt.. look in to this.. it seems to be a straight forward ppr calculation in which no tax is due but you need to be clear on your relationship before assuming anything.

Junebug

Postby Junebug » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:38 pm

We married just recently. We also wondered if stamp duty would be payable if he transferred his half of the flat to me?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”