This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling from abroad...

philm117

Postby philm117 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:15 am

I have been living in the US for 6 years and wish to sell my London property. Will I be subject to Capital Gains Tax or any other taxes or duty for that matter?

Thanks.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:24 am

If you are resident in USA & not resident in UK you will have no Capital gains tax to pay but may well have tax to pay in USA
regards
bill@wamstaxltd.com
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

tax me less!

Postby tax me less! » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:09 am

You will indeed owe USA tax at the 15% rate in the US plus State taxes if applicable. If you have ever rented out the property the rules are a great deal more complex. You may have excess foreign tax credits you could use.

davidc@james-barry.c

Postby davidc@james-barry.c » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:26 am

Just a word of caution in connection with the mention of potentially utilising excess foreign tax credits - if you do not pay an income tax of at least 10% of the gain to a foreign country (and there could well be no tax to pay in the UK, as indicated above) then I don't believe it would be possible to class the gain you make as foreign source on your US tax return.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”