This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

FHL and BATR

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:50 am

Please can someone clarify for me whether an FHL (Furnished Holiday Let) qualifies for Business Asset Taper Relief?

Apologies if it is a stupid question, but I have seen conflicting advice in books and on the Internet.

Thank you very much for your time.

al_eebee

Postby al_eebee » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:13 am

A qualifying FHL will qualify for BATR it just has to meet the income tax criteria, which may or may not present problems hitting the targets each year.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:14 am

Yes.

See section 241 TCGA 1992.

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:22 am

I thought it did, however I have recently had some conflicting advice, which I have pasted below:

"When an individual owns a property and is letting it as a furnished letting you
would think that it is a business asset as they are liable for tax on the
income - but - this is one area where the rules work both ways in HMRC's
favour.
The asset is counted as a personal asset - no business taper relief, so
you go back to the less generous relief as it counts as a personal asset
for this purpose."

I also looked in S241 TCGA and it talks about "commercial Letting of FHL" and "Trade".

I have a feeling that in order to demonstrate a trade the owner needs to provide a service, such as in a hotel, like B&B? As the Flat is in Cornwall, it seems unlikely that the owner is going to nip down and cook the occupants some breakfast.

This is where I am getting a bit confused. I would be grateful for any further clarification. Thanks.

Lee Young

Postby Lee Young » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:25 am

Flash

The text you quote does not mention a furnished holiday let but a "furnished letting". The distinction is important - furnished lettings are not business assets for CGT taper relief purposes, whereas a furnished holiday let is (if it satifies the test in s241 mentioned by maths above)
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks I will clarify that point with the person who wrote it.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”