This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

selling after a year and half and having another property

musterion

Postby musterion » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi all,
I bought a 2 bed-flat in southwest london in August 2006, it is jointly owned by my wife and myself. It was our main residence until we bought (jointly) a 3-bed house in the same area and moved there in September 2007.
We're selling the flat now and i wanted to know if we have to pay any CGT on it?

best regards and thanks in advance
Michael

al_eebee

Postby al_eebee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:52 pm

On the bare facts quoted there should be no CGT as the period from Sept 2007 to sale (assuming this will be reasonably soon, and at least by Sept 2010) will be covered by the extension to the exempt period for a property that has previously been your main residence to cover the final 3 years

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:00 pm

Yep, read IR283 on the HMRC web site. No CGT Liability. Regards Peter

musterion

Postby musterion » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Thank you so much guys.

Yes Al_eebee, am selling now, like this month.so 18 months after purchasing the flat (which is my first property ever).I was just confused if I had to complete 3 years in it or i still have another 18 months to sell with no CGT.

regards

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”