This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on sale of woodland

M_F_W

Postby M_F_W » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:28 am

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and have looked through previous posts to try and find an answer to my question but cannot find anything, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help?

I bought 40 acres of land on 1/4/2006, which comprises of 30 acres of woodland and 10 acres of agricultural land. I paid £51k for the land, and the title is in joint names with my wife.

I am now considering selling the 30 acres of woodland, and keeping the remaining 10 acres of grazing land. The woodland has been valued and is expected to sell for £120k.

I assume, for the purposes of calculating the Capital Gain, that the aquisition cost will be calculated as 75% of the overall purchase price? (as I am only selling 30 out of the 40 acres)

Also, I understand that it is only the gain on the actual land that is taxable, and the value of the standing timber is exempt from CGT. I have not yet had the standing timber valued, but intend to do so. As I have only owned the woodland for 2 years it is safe to assume that the standing timber has not significantly increased in value.

My question is, would it be acceptable to claim the full current value of the standing timber as a CGT-exempt portion of the overall gain, or would I only be able to claim any increase in value since I acquired it?

I appreciate this is quite a tricky question, and would be really grateful for any advice

Thanks
Mark

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:49 am

Have you been managing the woodland on a commercial basis?
If you have, then the gain on the timber is exempt, but only on the timber. The land is chargeable in the normal way, so how would the increase in value of the timber have any affect on the gain on the land?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”