This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I need to file a tax form

Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Postby dotto » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:42 pm

I sold a property 2007-2008 which had been rented out. This was sold at a loss because of last year's flooding. March 2008 I sold half of another property I rent out in order to take advantage of taper relief and also to claim the loss on the first property against the gain on the second property. My calculations have resulted in there being no capital gains tax due. Do I still need to complete and submit a capital gains tax form to the Inland Revenue notifying them of my calculations.

Thankk you for any advice you can offer.

Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Operate Nationally but based in Aberdeen

Postby wamstax » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:43 pm

I assume that half a property being sold would be to a connected party of yours e.g. partner or lineal descendant or ancestor and you would be safest to file one. You would be required to file a form if the sale proceeds were over about £34K anyway.

this link might help you further
Hope this helps
regards and hope this helps
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”