This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Losses on share sales

newsboy

Postby newsboy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:52 am

Well I cant, blame the Butcher or the Baker. So we blame the Chancellor of the time. Clearly, the answer to making sure you dont lose the AE ENTITLEMENT we are ALL allowed is to not (if possible) make too many losses in the same year, so the allowed AE is not wiped out! I could have sold 2 share holdings at a loss in the next year and kept my losses lower and then benefitted from the AE we are all allowed. I would have paid a very small amount of cgt after AE was beneficially used. But I would have had £9200 tax free profit. Spouses beware £18,400 AE tax free could be lost. Be careful tax payers.
I think we have contributed to a 20 posts.

jasmin

Postby jasmin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:50 am

I read above from some one that "capital gains" losses can be carried foreward 20 or more years. Yet I read on the Revenue site that losses made since 1996-97 must be claimed within five years and ten months of the end of the tax year. Does this mean you must use them ie offset them with profits before the five years is up or just report them to the revenue for future use.ie to use them in 20 or more year if you need to.

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 am

No, you do not have to use them wihtin five years, but you do have to make sure they are carried forward on your tax return or otherwise noted to HMRC.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”