This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

professional CGT advice needed

Sunil

Postby Sunil » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:34 am

I'm considering selling a property I have owned since June 1998 and need tax advice on how best to do this...

1. I bought in June 1998 to live in (spent approx 10k refurbishing house)
2. Had to move due to 120mile daily round trip commute to work in Nov 1998
3. Property was let out from Nov 98 till Jan 2001
4. In Jan 2001 I moved back in but rented out rooms in the house and paid taxes on the rental income
5. In March 2002 I moved to work in the USA.

I'm now looking to move back but want to sell my property and buy elsewhere. The approx gain in value I am looking at is 200k

How do I calculate my approx tax bill should I wish to sell and purchase another property?
Has anyone dealt with such a scenario before?

Thanks in advance!

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:23 pm

Have dealt with many such scenarios, and would need a few more details before I can run the calculation and advise on the gain.

Contact me if you wish me to help on this matter.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”