This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Desperately seeking BUSINESS ASSET TAPER RELIEF

simpsonite
Desperately seeking BUSINESS ASSET TAPER RELIEF

Postby simpsonite » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi All,

Farming partnership ceased in 1989.
Part of the farming land was sold at that time. The remaining parcel of land (3 acres) was sold 19 years later in 07/08. Clients have been holding out for planning permission which was eventually granted 20/03/08!

After the farm ceased in 1989 this remaining land was not farmed.
Is there any way it could be argued that this land still constitutes business property for taper relief purposes because it was originally land on a working farm?

Thoughts much appreciated!

Simpsonite

Ian Wright

Re: Desperately seeking BUSINESS ASSET TAPER RELIEF

Postby Ian Wright » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:41 am

Unless the land was used for some business purpose since 1989 then there is little hope for any BATR. When I say some business purpose I mean by anyone and not just the landowner. What was the land used for? Did another farmer graze it?

In this scenario
1998 - the relief is pretty much limited to those farming in hand
2000 - you should get relief if is used in business by any body corporate
2004 - if anyone uses it for business it should get relief

All time periods are to be apportioned.

I have argued in cases where land has become storage area or even a place to turn vehicles around, what you are looking ofr is any business use of any type between 1998 and 2008.

Last hope is if the sale was in any way conditional which could push the tax date past the sale date into 18% tax in 2008. I would have thought that planning permission was the key so this may not help!

Ian
Ian Wright
Tax Consultant
Wright Tax Consultancy Ltd
Hampshire
UK

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”