This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Entrepreneurs relief

witty
Entrepreneurs relief

Postby witty » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:42 am

Hi

My understanding is that you have to own at least 5% of a company to qualify for entrepreneurs relief, and that the lifetime disposal limit has now been increased to 5 million.

If for example, I owned 6% of a company and decided to dispose of 2% in this tax year I assume I qualify for the relief. However what happens on subsequent disposals given my remaining shareholding is now below the 5% qualifying level (i.e. I now own 4%).

Do I still qualify or will I need to disposal of my entire shareholding in one go to get the benefit of the reduced CGT rate?

mullet

Re: Entrepreneurs relief

Postby mullet » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:45 pm

You need to satisfy the qualifying conditions over a 12 month period, so if you end up having less than 5% of the voting rights then a subsequent disposal would not qualify for ER.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”