This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Company Secretary and Entrepreneurs' Relief

Milbo
Company Secretary and Entrepreneurs' Relief

Postby Milbo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Just one to throw out there and I'm sure(ish) that the answer will be yes.

Given that there is no longer a legal requirement for a company to appoint a company secretary, can we still rely on that post to be treated as an 'office' for the purposes of Entrepreneurs' Relief?

To quote ESM2503:

The following are examples of posts which are or may be offices
•company director and company secretary

Don't you just hate it when 'may be' is inserted into the HMRC Manuals!

Both items of legislation were relevant from April 2008 so I don't really envisage any future problems but your comments would be appreciated.

Mark

section 44

Re: Company Secretary and Entrepreneurs' Relief

Postby section 44 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Are you concerned because you envisage a company secretary that is neither an officer nor an employee?

Milbo

Postby Milbo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:19 pm

My question was posed because the appointment of a company secretary is no longer a legal requirement and may be open to challenge. So Section 44, I think the answer to your question is probably yes.

Many small companies used to appoint the spouse as a company secretary to keep them out of the SA regime but to also ensure that they qualify for the CGT reliefs available. Would it now be better to appoint the spouse as a director?

Incredulum

Postby Incredulum » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:29 pm

An office is a post created by charter or statute or any other similar document*, where the office endures even if the office holder leaves and is replaced by another.

*i.e. pretty much any internal document.

maths

Postby maths » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Given that there is no longer a legal requirement for a company to appoint a company secretary, can we still rely on that post to be treated as an 'office' for the purposes of Entrepreneurs' Relief?
Yes.

For ER purposes the definition is that contained in ITEPA 2003 s 4 which remains post the CA 2006 changes.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”