This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gapital gains

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:17 am

Dear Sir
I left the UK nearly two years ago to live in Spain, I have left my house in UK which I have rented out. I work and pay taxes in Spain, I also pay tax on my pension in the UK. I own a property in Spain. If I sell my house in the UK am I liable for Gapital gains on the house or can I sell within the 36 month clause and avoid the tax

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:26 pm

As you are not resident in the UK then CGT does not apply to you unless you return within 6 years of departure (five year rule). However, you need to check locally to see if CGT is payable in Spain on the transaction (probably).

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Taxbar

Postby Taxbar » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:57 am

I hope you have declared your UK rental income in Spain! Otherwise you will need to declare that in Spain with a credit for any UK tax paid.

Spanish Capital Gains Tax maybe payable at 15%. You need to seek expert advice. If you need someone familiar with International issues.

Look at the article on Spanish property in my section of this website UK &International Tax law by Jonathan Miller and either contect him and mention my name or I can contact him for you.

Daniel M Feingold
Barrister-at-law (NP)
Strategic Tax Planning
International & UK Tax Consultants

Treen House 72 Park Road,
Prestwich Manchester M25 OFA
E-mail: sedrate @easynet co.uk

d4david@hotmail.com

Postby d4david@hotmail.com » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:47 am

I own a building comprising a shop and a 2 bedroom flat above it and would like to sell them as separate entities. I am moving to France in October after the sale where I will be purchasing a new property. Am I liable to capital gains tax?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”