This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on gifts to family members

Haylins
CGT on gifts to family members

Postby Haylins » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:20 pm

My brother in Wales owns two properties - the one he lives in in Wales and the other he rents out in Portsmouth. We have an informal agreement that the one he rents out in Portsmouth will be left to me in his will. However, he has since married for the first time and I am now concerned about that arrangement, since there is nothing in writing between him and me. The main reasson he did not transfer the house ownership to me was due to the potential capital gains tax he would incur. Now I feel I should go ahead anyway, just so the matter is settled and the house is mine officially.

I am a UK citizen, but I have lived with my family in Austria for almost 30 years.

Could you please give me some advice as to whether CGT would be applicable in this case and how much it would be, percentage wise?

Many thanks in advance.

tom 7000

Re: CGT on gifts to family members

Postby tom 7000 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Yes and he pays it

and its really complicated to work out and depends on
How long he had it
what it cost him
what he sold it for
if he lived in it and for how long

mullet

Re: CGT on gifts to family members

Postby mullet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 pm

This is a duplicate post. Other responses here.
http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/cgt- ... ml#p140115

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”