This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on sale of plot

dotto
CGT on sale of plot

Postby dotto » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:48 pm

My two sons and myself live in and jointly own a property at the end of a longish drive, the drive having land running alongside one side of it for which we have obtained detailed planning permission for 2 detached properties. We have a buyer for the middle plot (plot 2) which lies between our property and plot 1. My two sons would like to build and live in a house on Plot 1, leaving me living in our current property, a bungalow. They will still own one third each of the bungalow and we each own one third of Plot 1. I am not interested in the build on plot 1 and would like to sell my one third to them, before the build is commenced. I realise that if we simply sell Plot 1 to a third party to build a house, we won’t incur any capital gains tax as the land is our garden. If my sons build they intend living in the property indefinitely. I am not sure of my position, and indeed their position, as regards capital gains tax if I sell my share of the plot to them. My share is worth approximately £50,000.

I hope this is clear enough and your advice would be much appreciated.

mullet

Re: CGT on sale of plot

Postby mullet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:57 pm

What is the area of the entire property as it is at the moment?
Is all of the land garden?

dotto

Postby dotto » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm not sure of the exact area but its less than half an acre. The area is currently garden, mainly grassed.

Thank you

mullet

Postby mullet » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:55 am

If you sell your share to them prior to the build commencing (that is very important - i.e. before the first turf is lifted) then your disposal will indeed be free of CGT as it will be a disposal of garden from an area less than 0.5 hectares. The timing is crucial - once work has started the land will no longer be "garden/grounds serving chiefly for ornament or recreation".

dotto

Postby dotto » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:00 am

Hi
Your response has been a great help.

Many thanks for giving your time.

kindest regards

Dorothy

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”