This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transfer of capital loss to spouse

TamsinHogben
Transfer of capital loss to spouse

Postby TamsinHogben » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:37 pm

My partner and I are likely to have a capital gain in excess of the allowance in tax year 2014/15 on disposal of a jointly-owned rental property (there is some reduction to the topline gain as it was our primary residence for several years).

My partner is rolling forwards a large capital loss he made in a partnership in 2010. He is likely to still have a loss after all his gains for 2014/15 are taken into account. I have no capital losses to offset any gains.

Is it possible to transfer some of his loss to me? We are not currently married...

Thanks
Tamsin

AvocadoK

Re: Transfer of capital loss to spouse

Postby AvocadoK » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:01 pm

No, you cannot transfer a loss from one person to another.

If you were married, you could transfer the property to him at no gain/no loss, and then he could use his losses against the whole gain. But he would not get PPR relief on 'your' half of the gain if it is not your joint PPR at the time you transfer it.

As you are not married, a transfer of the property to him would count as a taxable disposal at market value, so you would end up paying CGT on your share of the gain.

AK

AvocadoK

Re: Transfer of capital loss to spouse

Postby AvocadoK » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm

No, you cannot transfer a loss from one person to another.

If you were married, you could transfer the property to him at no gain/no loss, and then he could use his losses against the whole gain. But he would not get PPR relief on 'your' half of the gain if it is not your joint PPR at the time you transfer it.

As you are not married, a transfer of the property to him would count as a taxable disposal at market value, so you would end up paying CGT on your share of the gain.

AK

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”