This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT LOSS - SELF ASSESSMENT TAX FORM

dotto
CGT LOSS - SELF ASSESSMENT TAX FORM

Postby dotto » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Sorry to ask such an inane question but I have been waiting on the phone for an HMRC tax adviser for half an hour.

The question is: I made a cgt loss on a property sold in 2012-13. I am in the process of completing my tax form for 2013-14 and have nothing about which to notify HMRC regarding cgt. Does the cgt loss automatically carry forward to the following year/s or is there a form I have to complete to submit with my self assessment form.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Peter D

Re: CGT LOSS - SELF ASSESSMENT TAX FORM

Postby Peter D » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Was the property your home, former home, a rental property of a refurb job. No you have the property pages of the SATR. Regards Peter

dotto

Postby dotto » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi
It was a rental property. I have another and have completed the property income page of the tax form but am unsure as to whether the previous cgt losses automatically transfer over to the following year or whether I need to do something.

Thank you

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:32 pm

As long as you reported the loss in your 2012-13 tax return, it will be available to set against any future gains. You do not need to record it in subsequent return until it is needed.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”