This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on transfer of a property to children

DerekMoore
CGT on transfer of a property to children

Postby DerekMoore » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:23 pm

I have a small number of properties I have purchased over the years which are in joint names with myself and my wife.
I was talking to my accountant and mentioned that in a few more years I would give one to each of the 2 children to get them on the housing market.
I said that provided I survived more than 7 years then there is no IHT due.
She said I would be liable for a CGT charge on the profit based on average values at the time of transfer.
Is this correct as I was under the impression that if I give away capital assets, cash assets, share assets, valuables etc prior to death 7 years later then there is no tax due on the asset.
I would value others opinions on whether my accountant is right or I have got it wrong.

King_Maker

Re: CGT on transfer of a property to children

Postby King_Maker » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:13 pm

CGT applies to disposals - sales and gifts.

Certain assets are exempt - e.g cash, cars etc.

But not properties. As you are "connected" with your children, the disposal will be at MV (Market Value).

DerekMoore

Re: CGT on transfer of a property to children

Postby DerekMoore » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:45 am

Thanks for the information King Maker.

Much appreciated.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”