This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self employed as a share trader?

berlingo
Self employed as a share trader?

Postby berlingo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:13 pm

I quit my job two months ago and doing just share trading at the moment. Trading is done trough nominee account (not ISA). Capital gains so far are £500- £5000 a month. I believe I might make more than £10,900 this year. My trades consist of daily trading (sometimes the same shares multiple times a day), and some longer holding- week to 3-4 months. Do I have to register as self employed? What tax rate I have to pay after £10,900 capital gains?

nikkisizer

Re: Self employed as a share trader?

Postby nikkisizer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:39 am

Hello berlingo,

You will need to register for self assessment with HMRC if you have to pay Capital Gains Tax.

CGT is payable if your taxable gains after deducting allowable losses for the tax year are less than your annual exempt amount.

Happy to help if required so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

nikkisizer

Postby nikkisizer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:40 am

Hello berlingo,

Apologies, my post should read:

CGT is payable if your taxable gains after deducting allowable losses for the tax year are MORE than your annual exempt amount.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:38 pm

There are additional circumstances where a tax return will also be required or hmrc will at a minimum need to be notified of details.
Sometimes you need to report to HMRC even if your gains are below the tax-free allowance. Send a tax return if:

you disposed of chargeable assets with an overall worth of more than 4 times the tax-free allowance - this works out as £43,600 for the 2013 to 2014 tax year
you have losses that you want to claim (if you’re not already registered for Self Assessment, you can write to HMRC instead)
https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/wo ... eed-to-pay

Note hmrc are unlikely to agree that you are self employed if that would suit you tax wise, however if you applied to be self employed that application would likely be accepted and they may only later question the status when it suits them (Eg if you claimed losses or didn't declare capital gains)

Note the more you can trade within an ISA the better as the reporting headache for shares is quite high. Anything within an ISA is ignored from a reporting point of view.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”