This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

can I use PPR as a hub for nomadic life

snettergal

Postby snettergal » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:26 pm

I live on the road working at:- festivals in the uk, organic farms etc ,travelling in my camper van. I shall overwinter in spain as I have chest problems caught doing voluntary work in Africa.
If I buy a house in the u.k to use as my "base" do I have to spend any specific amount of time there to qualify for PPR? It would be my only residence but I would only go there to do DIY on it and in between places to work.
Could I then let it after say 1year?
thanks.

cranleys

Postby cranleys » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:36 pm

Groovy

In short you cannot use PPR for developing. Try it at your expense - try 100% tax penalty on the tax incurred. Yes one client who came to me recently. It is often overlooked but once a property developer it is hard to shake off particularly as you may not be able to afford one to live long term (no improvements) and one development.

I can advise further.

Colin Davison
Cranleys Chartered Accountants
Editor of Property Tax Secrets 2005
colin@cranleys.co.uk 01256-766655

snettergal

Postby snettergal » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:19 pm

Many thanks Colin,
I sold my house 4 years ago and foolishly hesitated to purchase another.
I would have liked to jump on the self build gravy train.
My assets have thus dwindled (as my income is so small).When it's all gone I'll at least be eligible for benefits and social housing ....
What a system!

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”