This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

cgt non resident landlords

salavan
cgt non resident landlords

Postby salavan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:59 pm

hi does anyone know how hmrc will work out cgt for british non resident landlords.
i brought my house in 1986 and been a non resident landlord since 2005
for example if i sell in 2016 will i only pay cgt on the gain for 1 year, i doubt this very much
im not sure is there are any definate rules been decided on this, i would appreciate any advice
thank you
regard salavan

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: cgt non resident landlords

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:04 pm

It will be rebased to April 2015 so any gains after April 2015 will be liable to CGT

I understand the exact details will be published in the early part of 2015

Kind Regards

Sash

lucapooka

Postby lucapooka » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:29 am

Hello, I appolgise, as new member, for hi-jacking another´s thread but the subject seems entirely relevant to my circumstances and may even add to overall understand of this topic. I am seeking clarification on the following:

Since 2006 I have been collecting rent on my property in the UK, and declaring duly this income to HMRC. I have not been resident in the UK for 8 years and have spent only one month there during that entire period. I continue to live outside the UK. The house if now on the market and due for sale completion in January.

So, my questions: Am I liable to CGT in those circumstances? Would I be liable for CGT if I plough the funds from the sale into another property in the UK. If the sale falls through and I don´t find another buyer before March 15, will that make a difference to my CGT liability?

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration of my enquiry.

Luca

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:15 am

It is possible that time apportionment will be an alternative option - or even neither re-basing nor time apportionment if the taxpayer so wishes.

lucapooka

Postby lucapooka » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:34 am

Thank you for you reply but I am not readily familiar with tax matters. Are you saying that I am indeed liable for CGT at present and your response is offering a solution to that liability? If so, could you be less jargonistic as that would help my understanding. Regards, Luca

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 am

Thank you for you reply but I am not readily familiar with tax matters. Are you saying that I am indeed liable for CGT at present and your response is offering a solution to that liability? If so, could you be less jargonistic as that would help my understanding. Regards, Luca
My post was an addendum to that from GlobalTaxAdviser's answer.

Although it looks like a reply to your question, it is not, as your question was not visible when I posted earlier today - perhaps a time zone glitch.

lucapooka

Postby lucapooka » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Ah, I see. Sorry, I guess that is the problem with hijacking a thread. I think my situation is identical to the original question other than I will be realizing the gain before the new legislation. On that basis, would I still be liable to CGT?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Hello

Previously if you were non resident in the UK for 5 years there was no CGT

From April 2015 all non residents will be liable for CGT. The Property value gets an cost uplift at market values probably from April 2015

Any gains you made after that date will be taxed

You may also be liable for CGT in your home country but tax implications will depend on the double tax treaty

There will be more clarity when the finance bill for 2015 is released early next year.

Do revert if you have any further questions

Thank you

Sash

lucapooka

Postby lucapooka » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Sash, thanks for your clarification. I will take that I am not liable in the UK for a gain realized before April 2015. But, can I keep the proceeds of the sale in the UK (whilst paying any CGT liability I have in my country of residence) and even buy another property after April 2015? Would that matter?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi Luca

No CGT before April 2015 if you were non resident for five years

Yes you can keep the proceeds in the UK and buy another property in the UK. There isn't any rollover relief that will defer any gain

One other point that could affect your future decisions the government has released a paper that could result in non residents losing their personal allowance.

Kind Regards

Sash

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”