This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital loss from foreign investment.

perseus
Capital loss from foreign investment.

Postby perseus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:41 pm

I have a small capital loss from foreign investments due to £/€ currency fluctuations, not nearly enough to make any difference to the 13/14 tax years bill. However, do I have to mention this on that years form if I ever wish to use those losses to offset potential future capital gains in future years?

King_Maker

Re: Capital loss from foreign investment.

Postby King_Maker » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:11 pm

You have to claim a CGT Loss with HMRC in order for it to be an Allowable Loss.

perseus

Postby perseus » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:28 pm

Yes I know, but does it need to be declared within the tax year it occurs, or only at the time you are offsetting the loss, assuming you have the paperwork.

I have no gains to offset for the tax year in question and it would be very complicated to work it anyway at this time.

I know losses can be offset for up to 4 years, but it is less clear if they have to be pre-declared.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:26 pm

I don't understand your use of the word "declare".

Any CGT losses for 2013-14 must be claimed (by advising HMRC of the relevant figure) UP TO 4 years after 5 April 2014.

tannaroo

Postby tannaroo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Can I clarify this 4 year rule / election.

Am I right in saying you have to notify HMRC within 4 years of a incurring capital loss through the tax return, but once you have the notified that capital loss it be can be offset indefinitely against a capital gain?

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Can I clarify this 4 year rule / election.

Am I right in saying you have to notify HMRC within 4 years of a incurring capital loss through the tax return, but once you have the notified that capital loss it be can be offset indefinitely against a capital gain?
The 4 year Time Limit refers to the end of the Tax Year in which the Loss occurred - except for Losses prior to 6 April 1996.

The Loss should be declared in the SATR, if issued. Otherwise by writing to HMRC.

An Allowable Loss can be carried forward indefinitely.

Number26

Postby Number26 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologise if I'm looking for an answer that has already been posted.
I have an investment through a UK broker in some USA shares, bought around 2002. The US company has failed so the shares are worthless - can I offset the loss against tax due from property rental income in the UK - if so can I declare the shares as being of 'Negligible Value' on my tax return or do I need to claim the loss in some other way.
My reading of the rules on 'Neglible Value' losses would require the shares to have been in a UK based company (?) - I am UK domiciled.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”