This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How to create a captial gain from disposing of a business

sndrod2

Postby sndrod2 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:21 am

I have a personal capital gains loss of £7k from a unit trust. I also have a company that I used as a vehicele to get paid for a consulting project I did. I have not drawn a salary from this company which has £13k of cash sitting in it.

The question is, how do I dispose of this company in this tax year to create a captial gain that i can offset against the capital loss?

ian.wright@beechams.

Postby ian.wright@beechams. » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:57 am

You can liquidate your company through an Inland Revenue Extra Statutory Concession ESC C16.

In this the IR agree a dissolution as capital as long as you agree to certain criteria.

It may be worth doing this in the year following the loss as you would only need to offset enough carried forward losses to reduce the gain to the annual exemption.

Taper relief on the gain is realy subject to the activities of the business and may just fall under the investment rates rather than business rates which are more favourable.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”