This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on inherited house overseas

benwantstoknow
CGT on inherited house overseas

Postby benwantstoknow » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Hello,

I have inherited a property from my Grandmother who was based overseas (India). By giving power of attorney to my uncle he has sold the property and is ready to send the proceeds to my account in the UK. I wanted to know if there will be any CGT liability on the funds that will be repatriated (about £200k)?

Will I also need to request any documentation to prove the sale value? Will there be any issues with sending a large amount of money to my bank account in the UK?

Thank you.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: CGT on inherited house overseas

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi

If you domiciled in the UK and are selling a property then you will be liable for CGT in UK and India. You can get a foreign tax credit for any tax paid in India assuming you are tax resident in the UK under the double tax treaty

If you are not domiciled then any gain on the property would be taxed on an arising or remittance basis

Most definitely,I would get all documents pertaining to the sales and tax certificates for any tax paid in India.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”