This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign Capital Loss

tannaroo
Foreign Capital Loss

Postby tannaroo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi,

I have a foreign capital loss from the sale of USA shares. Can this foreign capital loss be used to offset UK capital gains (shares/property etc) either now or in the future?

Thanks

maths

Re: Foreign Capital Loss

Postby maths » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:31 pm

Yes, assuming you are UK domiciled.

tannaroo

Postby tannaroo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks.

For a UK Non Dom, I guess the foreign capital loss can be used if the proceeds from those shares are remitted to the UK?

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:40 pm

The position post 05/04/08 for a non dom is as follows;

If you do not elect to be a Remittance Base User (RBU) (S809B ITA 2007) then your overseas losses are treated the same as UK losses, ie you net them off against gains.

If you make a RBU election
The losses cannot be utilised unless you make an irrevocable election under S 16ZA TCGA 1992, the election must be made within 4 years from the end of the tax year in which the first RBU election is made.
Having made the election statutory ordering rules deem the overseas losses to be utilised in the following order; (S16ZC(3))

1 Foreign gains remitted to the UK
2 Unremitted foreign gains
3 UK gains.

The effect is to restrict relief until overseas gains are remitted.

tannaroo

Postby tannaroo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:26 pm

Thanks for that.

I have another related question. I have some Canadian dollars in my UK broker account. A few years ago I converted GBP into CAD with a view to buy Canadian shares but I never did. So the CAD funds just sat there in my UK broker account earning interest. I now want to convert those CAD back into GBP.

Is this subject to capital gain / losses?

maths

Postby maths » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:17 pm

No CGT charge (or allowable loss) if if there is a sterling gain on conversion of C$ into £.

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 pm

Moving back to capital losses, one needs to convert to Sterling using spot rates on each date of purchase and sale. There may be a loss, but still a gain in Sterling.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”